Van Buren School District Education Foundation
The mission of the Van Buren School District Education Foundation is to generate and distribute resources to the Van Buren School District to enrich, maintain, and expand programs needed to meet the district's stated mission of excellence in education.
The foundation will achieve its mission by directing resources toward the following goals:
• Encourage all students to work to their highest potential
• Staff support for innovative efforts
• Recognize staff for exemplary teaching
• Build Community awareness for the Van Buren School District Education Foundation
• Inspire parents and the community to participate with the school district in enriching education
Who We Are
- A 501(c)(3) nonprofit tax-exempt philanthropic organization of citizens.
- Sharing a vision of enhancing education in the Van Buren School District
- Working to increase private support for educational activities in the Van Buren School District.
- Benefiting Van Buren School District Students and staff personnel by supporting activities not funded by tax dollars.
- Awarding Foundation funds through a volunteer Board of Directors made up of business, community and educational leaders.
The Van Buren School District Education Foundation has been created to support the educational programs for both the students and staff of the Van Buren School District.
The foundation will provide funds for educational programs and activities which either have not been funded or have been underfunded by the normal operating budget. These funds will be used to facilitate student achievement and skill development, to recognize and encourage staff excellence and to expand community involvement from individuals, business and civic organizations.
• Innovative Teaching Grants
• Staff Development
• Economic and Special Needs of Students
• Interactive Learning Experiences for Students
• School/Community Partnerships-Programs/Projects
• Student/Teacher Recognition Programs
• Author/Artist in Resident Programs
• Permanent Endowment Fund
• Endowed Scholarship Programs
Since our inception in 2001, the Van Buren Education Foundation has awarded more than $1 million in grants to educators!
Check out photos from our Million Dollar Celebration on Facebook!
How you can help
Your contribution to the Van Buren School District Education Foundation will be gratefully received and carefully appropriate to provide education opportunities for students.
Your support may come from contributions for cash, annual pledges, memorial gifts, real estate, stocks, planned giving or other in-kind gifts.
You can help by participating. The foundation welcomes the intangible and invaluable gifts of your time, service and wisdom.
Find us on Facebook! @VBSDEducationFoundation
Contact Debbie Thomas at (479) 651-0810 or by email at EdFoundation@VBSD.us.
Van Buren Education Foundation Board of Directors
(Years denote graduation for Van Buren Alumni)
Debbie James Thomas ‘71, VBSD Education Foundation Director
Dr. Harold Jeffcoat, VBSD Superintendent
Nathan Hurst ‘94, Today’s Bank
David King ‘76, PAC Printers
Lindsey Trantham, Fort Smith Chamber of Commerce
Allen Defrees, Citizens Bank & Trust Company
Bob Freeman ‘73, Past Mayor of Van Buren
Brad Martin, Citizens Bank & Trust Company
Brian Summerhill ‘89, VBSD Deputy Superintendent
Byrl Criswell ‘80, Criswell Family Dentistry
Caroline Brewer ‘02, Arvest Bank
Carolyn Loyd, GFWC Women’s League of Van Burenn
Charley Williams, Edward Jones
Daniel Loyd, Tankersley Foods
David Neal ‘72, Rhodes Chevrolet
David Needham ’82, Arkansas Blue Cross & Blue Shield
Dianna Lyons-Wagnor, SPMI-My HR Professionals
Dustin Booth, State Farm Insurance
Fred O. Williams ‘70, Williams/Crawford
Jacob Howell, Howell Law Firm
Jean Ellyne Dougan ‘65, Community Volunteer
Jim Petty, Strategic Realty
Joe Stewart Citizens Bank & Trust
Justin Lovett ‘93, Rotary Club
Ken & Vicki Kilgore, Crawford Health & Rehabilitation
Kevin Bell ‘88, Jimmy Bell Real Estate Company/VBSD Board of Education
Mark Hurst, Hurst Family Dentistry
Melissa Chitwood, BancorpSouth
Robbie Spoon ’81, Williams Florist & Gifts
Rusty Myers ‘62, Community Volunteer
Stephanie Jones, Experian
Wendell Westfall, Bank OZK