Tornado Safe Rooms
Safe rooms have been constructed by the Van Buren School District in partnership with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. They are designed and constructed to withstand the pressures of 200 mile-per-hour tornadic winds.
Safe room doors will be unlocked at the first tornado warning siren. Safe room doors DO NOT open until the sirens have sounded for Crawford County.
Safe Room Procedures
- Safe room doors will be unlocked when the first tornado warning siren for Crawford County sounds.
- Safe rooms will close when the tornado warning expires.
- Safe rooms will accommodate pets contained within airline approved pet carriers.
- Safe rooms and school campuses are tobacco-free facilities per Arkansas law.
- Safe room doors are to remain closed at all times.
- Students, school faculty, and staff have priority during the school day.
- During severe weather that occurs after school hours, safe rooms are available for community shelter.
- The designated safe room manager will open and close the facility.
- The safe room manager will have access to a severe weather radio and can answer questions.
- Safe rooms are NOT stocked with food, cots, pillows or blankets.
- Safe rooms are equipped with a first-aid kit and 12 (or fewer) chairs for the elderly or physically challenged.
- The safe room manager will close the facility once the tornado warning has expired.
- Occupants are expected to follow all safe room guidelines and directions issued by the safe room manager.
Safe Room Locations
- Tate Elementary
- King Elementary
- Rena Elementary
- Parkview Elementary
- Butterfield Trail Middle School
- VBHS Freshman Academy
- Van Buren High School